[squeak-dev] [Ann] [Cuis] Cuis 2.3 released

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 23:17:34 UTC 2010

Juan,

On Apr 8, 2010, at 7:57 AM, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Phil (list) wrote:
>> Juan,
>>
>> I've finally made some time to attempt to migrate from Cuis 2.0-
>> >2.3 (yeah, I missed a couple of releases :-) and have run into
>> some issues.  The main one that jumped out at me is when I filed
>> out my changesets from the 2.0 image and then back in to 2.3: in
>> many places (strangely, not all), underscore assignment is being
>> used when *all* of my code in 2.0 used := (and when I view the code
>> before installing the changeset, it indicates that := was used on
>> the fileout)... so this is either a regression (I didn't have this
>> problem loading into 2.0) or a feature.  If it's a feature, can it
>> be disabled? #allowUnderscoreAssignment is true in both versions
>> and is the only pref I saw that seemed possibly related but since
>> there was no difference in the setting, I didn't expect any
>> difference in behavior.
>
> I apologize. Just turn off the
> #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment preference. It
> should be off by default, and will be so in next releases. BTW, next
> release of Cuis will include "configurable underscore meaning" as
> Andreas did recently for trunk, and you can always do 'StrikeFont
> useUnderscore', meaning that Cuis will fully support the use of _ as
> part of selectors or identifiers.

Thanks, that took care of the problem and good to know re: future
releases.

>> The other things I've run into so far are problems with what
>> appears to be an incomplete changeset being generated by 2.0
>> (specifically with a class that I had renamed) and a hard crash
>> problem (i.e. the image literally just quits/crashes with no error)
>> related to OpenGL/FFI that I wasn't having in 2.0.  These two are
>> more FYI at this stage (and if either of these problems sounds
>> familiar, by all means please let me know) as I still have some
>> investigating to do to see if there is something on my end that is
>> the cause of these problems or if it's something I can figure out a
>> fix for and provide to you.
>
> This was already answered by Andreas. Thanks Andreas!

1/2 of it was... still having a problem with the incomplete changeset
but I'm able to work around it until I figure out what the issue is.
Not a big deal, just something I ran into (possibly a changeset
limitation, I just don't know yet.)

>> Now that I've finally gotten just about all of my stuff migrated to
>> Cuis, I'm going to use this migration as an opportunity to clean my
>> code up a little (OK, a lot :-) so that hopefully I won't fall so
>> far behind future releases and can provide more timely feedback
>> going forward.
>
> Great!
>
>> One additional item I would like to get your thoughts on is whether
>> or not you think that maintaining compliance with the ANSI
>> Smalltalk spec (or some other standard) where possible (i.e. it's a
>> capability that is included in Cuis) is a worthwhile goal?  This
>> seems like it might be helpful in trying to remain at least
>> minimally compatible with packages not specifically developed for
>> Cuis.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Phil
>
> I'm not a big fan of ANSI Smalltalk, but I agree that some
> compatibility with Squeak and Pharo (and perhaps other Smalltalks)
> is a good thing. What I really like is Grease, as it can be tested
> for compliance. If anybody wants to work on Grease for Cuis, I'll be
> happy to help and to consider that work an "officially supported
> optional package" ((c) Andreas), meaning that I'd run all the test
> before any release, and integrate or write any needed fixes, to
> ensure it works ok. Aside from that, feel free to raise any
> compatibility issues that bite you. We might integrate the fix in
> Cuis, or in an "officially supported optional package". The fact is
> that I already have some stuff for starting such packages.
>
> Does this sound ok for you?

That works for me... I don't have any personal preference and was just
throwing out ANSI as that was one of the options I was aware of.  I'll
take a look into Grease since that seems to be an option that seems to
be working for far larger efforts than mine.  I'm still sorting
through my changes but in case anyone is interested in some of the
things that work: right now I'm successfully using FFI, OpenGL
(positional arguments worked as well but I got rid of them),
3DTransform, Smallapack, Curl, Ometa2 and XML-Parser/XPath with only
minor changes needed and no show-stopping issues so far.  Aside from a
dozen or so missing methods and assumptions re: 'SmalltalkImage
current' that needed to be fixed to load the code, things have been
working just as reliably as they do in Squeak and Pharo.    Granted,
most of the external code I'm using doesn't have complex dependencies
on other packages, but the things I've needed are working and it's
been a very pleasant experience so far.

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Thanks,