[squeak-dev] How to drag an icon onto another icon have an image open in a vm. (Ubuntu/Linux)

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 06:22:15 UTC 2010

Hi all, Hi Ian,

I did some experimenting and was able to find how to achieve the desired result.

Pardon me for reproducing the bulk of the original problem. This way it becomes a complete piece of documentation

======

context: squeak test piloting on Ubuntu 8.04 (Long term support til April 2013)

Problem: Each time a new release comes out their needs to be a way to launch it which doesn't interfere/collide or invalidate the ways of launching other releases/versions

Desired: A drag and drop solution.

Basically drag an icon onto another icon have an image open in a vm.

The dragged icon would represent the image the target icon would represent the vm.

Have everything work. Sound plays. Squeak can find sources and changes, local and external repositories. Etc.

Rationale:

On my old Mac I had several icons representing different vms. Several icons representing different images.

Things were simpler then, most vm's would open most images. However if there were special circumstances I just needed to keep related icons near each other to clear up the confusion.

Problem:

On Ubuntu I have an old squeak already installed via the add/remove mechanism Ubuntu provides. I would like to keep that as it is.

I also have an Etoys installed and plan to keep that.

The newer images and vms are stored in folders in my home directory not in the shared system library. That works because my computer is still in a one person, one login, personal computer configuration.

The Gnome launcher mechanism allows me to make a specialized launcher icon for each image. My level of knowledge so far allows me to use a simple launch command

mydir/mySqueakVm -plugins mydir/myPlugingDir myDir/mySqueak.image

This has served me as well as I needed until recently.

Solution:

After a bunch of experimentation. I have found the relevant trick. And of course it is simple.

On the desktop, right click.
request make a launcher from the menu.

for the command browse to the myVMdir/bin/squeak application
stop there and close the launcher.

next open a navigator on your myDir/mySqueak.image

drag the icon for that over the launcher.
voila. q.e.d. (quite easily done)

Double clicking the launcher will launch with a default image.
I haven't check but this is probably the squeak.image in your home directory.