[squeak-dev] Re: Can i has underscores? :)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Apr 15 00:26:39 UTC 2010

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> On 15 April 2010 00:38, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Igor,
>>
>> So, what you want is:
>>
>> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>>> ... i see a following benefits:
>>>  - better interoperability with other languages (most modern languages
>>> using underscores in identifiers)
>>>

>> You already have that, just turn on the preference. There are a few issues
>> left, today I sent some fixes for those, in a message that was ignored.
>>

> it was not ignored. Not by me :) I downloaded your code once i seen
> the message and want to try it out later.
> But it is probably will not be integrated before release, so that's
> why i think it was not attracted much attention.

Good to know!

>>>  - better visual appearance of source code (seeing a := b is a way
>>> better than seeing a _ b )
>>>

>> You always had that.
>>

> Not always. There are still a lot of old code in sources, which using
> underscore assignments.
> I'd prefer to never stumble over that again :)

Shout can do that for you. And if you save such method, it will use your
preference. I use it to convert any method I save in Cuis to use left
arrow :)

>> So, what is missing? The import filter to convert existing code to suit your
>> taste; the one you're not programming because it is not that important for
>> you? Something else?
>>

> It is not about my taste, it is about a decision i have to make,
> what code to generate with my OpenGL stuff. Either use underscores freely or
> collapse them and let users to deal with consequences and with
> inability to have 1:1
> correspondence with OpenGL identifiers.
> Try read this one:
> COMPRESSED_SIGNED_RED_RGTC1
> COMPRESSED_SRGB_ALPHA_S3TC_DXT5_EXT
> and this:
> COMPRESSEDSIGNEDREDRGTC1
> COMPRESSEDSRGBALPHAS3TCDXT5EXT
>
> Yes, these names are ugly as C is. But that's not the point.
> The point is, that OpenGL is a widely adopted standard, which i like
> to bring to Squeak.
> And it is obvious to me, that retaining an original formatting is
> better for any potential user.

Why are you still speaking as if you couldn't use underscores in
identifiers when in fact you can? Or if someone had told you that you
shouldn't? I guess most people (me included) believe it is better to use
them in this case!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich