[squeak-dev] Changesets from Monticello (Re: Edgar from the Ostracism Re: Squeak 4.1 release candidate 2)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Apr 16 06:46:04 UTC 2010

On 4/6/2010 10:34 AM, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Now I'm speaking just for myself. Cuis doesn't include Monticello. My
> experience with Monticello has been different. I chose not to include
> it. I can go in more detail, but you know Monticello's strengths and
> weaknesses as well as I do. So, to integrate stuff from Squeak, I need
> to create some change sets. That task could be automated and save a
> little time.

Okay, here you go. Attached some changes that allow one to create change
sets from the MC updates. Use it like here:

MCMcmUpdater
	generateChangeSets: 'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'
	from: 1 to: 145.

This takes the configuration maps and for each package in the map it
creates a change set from the previous config map. The result is an
accumulated change set that covers all the MC packages from the previous
config map (it could be extended to also cover each intermediate version
but that's left as an exercise for the reader).

One word of advice though. You won't be able to just load these change
sets and assume they'll work. Monticello loading has much improved and
is now superior to change set handling since it doesn't load one method
after another. So you'll have trouble to load stuff like compiler
changes and very likely the closure updates.

If you don't want to run the process yourself, you can also download all
the updates from

   http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/updates4.0-4.1.zip

Let me know if this is in any form useful to you. I find it completely
useless, but that's just me.

Cheers,
   - Andreas