[squeak-dev] Call For *Your* Opinion

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Mon Apr 19 11:46:08 UTC 2010

> 1. What are your biggest hurdles preventing you from contributing to Squeak?

1) High traffic in squeak-dev list, meaning many messages are not read
properly. Of course I could use Mantis I guess :)

2) Tedious discussions and painful nitpicking. I hate to defend my
ideas, but find myself rather often cornered into having to do so. This
definitely prevents me from offering much more bug fixes and proposals
than I currently do.

> 2. What would it take for you to contribute more?

More attention from others. I could say: take this image I just
uploaded, see all the fixes and improvements that are in, vote for
inclusion and I submit the corresponding code. I won't do that now
because I know nobody is ever going to actually have a look. Time is
short for many it seems.

> 3. What are your expectations in regard to contributions?

see above

> 4. What are the reasons behind the low level of contributions from
> other community members, according to you?

The vocal people on squeak-dev are very intimidating. I guess they don't
realize that.

> 5. What would you improve in order to increase the number of
> contributions and the number of contributors?

Dunno.

> 6. How would you rate your sense of social identification to the
> Squeak community, on a scale from 1 to 10. (1 is the lowest, 10 the
> highest)

Although I have been around for nearly 10 years, I don't feel very much
part of the community, but actually I don't think there is such thing as
a Squeak community. Many people, many different interests.

> 7. What is your rating based on?

I'm not into ratings.

> 8. Anything else?

Good that you asked these questions. It's useful.

Stef