[squeak-dev] widget sets/GUI builders

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 16:54:53 UTC 2010

On 4/17/10, Hannes Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ross,
>
> Maybe
>      FillInTheBlankMorph
> gives some ideas

A better idea is to start using ToolBuilder which is new in 4.1.
Browse for the buildWith: method to see how it is used. However the
examples are pretty comprehensive.

So it might be an idea to go for a simple one which is on the the
'Beginners list'. I was working on it today and with the help of Bert
F. it was a success. It is a three-pane browser for looking at a
dictionary of dictionaries.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2010-April/007019.html

The code there as such is simple and straightforward if you happen to
read it. But to write it you first have to have the right ideas. In
that particular case that you only need to do a model and that one
build method is sufficient. In addition one had to deal with strings
and not with objects in the lists.

In Java you write more code but it is somewhat easier to see what is going on.

Anyhow to follow a given coding pattern is straightforward.
The nice thing with working with the ToolBuilder is that the same
thing works as well in MVC. *

Hannes

*MVC is currently still buggy and a bit slow. And we are waiting for
wxWidgets to be included.....