[squeak-dev] Call For *Your* Opinion

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Mon Apr 19 19:39:54 UTC 2010

Am 19.04.2010 12:49, schrieb Ian Trudel:
> 1. What are your biggest hurdles preventing you from contributing to Squeak?

Lack of time...
> 2. What would it take for you to contribute more?

More time :-)
> 3. What are your expectations in regard to contributions?

Not much - appreciation from Co-Squeakers is a nice thing, but I would
mostly contribute what I do for my own fun.
> 4. What are the reasons behind the low level of contributions from
> other community members, according to you?

It's probably a mix of reasons. For some, lack of time might be their
reason, too. Others have probably unmet expectations about reception of
their contributions.
> 5. What would you improve in order to increase the number of
> contributions and the number of contributors?

I have no idea. Everything that I can think of requires the investment
of more time, for example to coordinate development in sub-projects with
a clear goal of getting them into the mainstream Squeak distribution
(either as part of the default image, or as a well-supported package to
be loaded by those who want it).
> 6. How would you rate your sense of social identification to the
> Squeak community, on a scale from 1 to 10. (1 is the lowest, 10 the
> highest)

About 5.
> 7. What is your rating based on?

On one hand, I consider the Squeakers in general a group of very bright
and talented people who are full of great ideas (and they make quite a
number of them real). I do identify with this group.
On the other hand, I have found that my activity with Squeak and the
Squeak people varies a lot over time, so there have been times when I
did not follow developments much.
> 8. Anything else?

I could list a number of things about Squeak and the Squeakers which are
simply outstanding. There's not enough room on this questionnaire to
write them all down :-)

Cheers,
Hans-Martin