[squeak-dev] Call For *Your* Opinion

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 19:41:58 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Ian Trudel <ian.trudel at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. What are your biggest hurdles preventing you from contributing to Squeak?

honestly, lack of time. Also honestly, lack of necessary in-depth
knowledge of the system.

> 2. What would it take for you to contribute more?

More time, but also a better understanding of everything. That
includes the entire image, packages and VM. Transitively, this means
lots of documentation (and I mean "lots"). Tutorials, API
documentation with examples, such things. Especially the VM suffers
from this: documentation exists mostly in the heads of those few
ingenious beings that really know their way around the VM. As for
delving into the details and getting to know them better: see above re
time.

> 3. What are your expectations in regard to contributions?

My contributions? Others'? (Can't answer. Sorry.)

> 4. What are the reasons behind the low level of contributions from
> other community members, according to you?

Can't answer as well. Every community has strong and less strong
contributors, whatever their particular reasons may be. It is normal.
I guess the reason is that this is just another OSS community.

> 5. What would you improve in order to increase the number of
> contributions and the number of contributors?

Documentation, packaging - possibly in a bundled way.

> 6. How would you rate your sense of social identification to the
> Squeak community, on a scale from 1 to 10. (1 is the lowest, 10 the
> highest)

8.

> 7. What is your rating based on?

On my own impressions.

> 8. Anything else?

Yes: Ian: have you actually talked to the board about this poll beforehand?

Best,

Michael