[squeak-dev] MessageNames' search panel: keep resizable or make constant in height?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Wed Apr 21 14:03:35 UTC 2010

On 2010/04/20 19:37, Chris Muller wrote:
> +1
>
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Frank Shearar
> <frank.shearar at angband.za.org>  wrote:
>> I noticed that MessageNames' search panel has a button that resizes
>> proportionally with its window.
>>
>> Given that I've submitted a few fixes recently on resizing buttons, I
>> thought I'd apply the same "UI guideline" and make that too constant in
>> height.
>>
>> But that panel's not quite the same kind of animal as a Browser's
>> instance/?/class button panel, or a Browser's optional button panel because,
>> well, it's not a panel. It's just a button that sits next to an input field.
>>
>> So to my question: while clearly not an issue of pressing concern, would it
>> be better in the interests of look and feel uniformity to change this button
>>   to one of constant height?
>>
>> In particular, I propose that the button and input field sit within a
>> pluggable panel of constant height. We fix the button size, and let the
>> input field take up the rest of the panel's space.

Great. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to waste my time, and
that of anyone reviewing my code, doing something that wasn't desired!

I've put my request up on Mantis, at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7509

Once I've finished solving another mystery ("ToolBuilder: list in panel
appears grey") I'll fix this guy.

frank