[squeak-dev] Proposal: Project Pink Book

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 15:23:47 UTC 2010

On 4/21/10, Ralph Johnson <johnson at cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> One of the big advantages of SUnit and its ilk are that tests are "just
> code".  They can be versioned, inspected, refactored, released, announced,
> etc just like code, because they are code.
>
> So, I think it is great that you are trying to put documentation on the same
> level.

Yes, that is actually what Andreas and Torsten are doing right now.

> It looks to me like you are thinking of several tools here.

Yes.

> One converts
> documentation into HTML.   This might be a web site that just displays what
> is in the image, or it might be a tool that goes through the image and
> creates HTML, writing it out to the disk for display later.

Yes.

> Another is a way of including more tutorial-style documentation in the
> image, and you are thinking about HelpSystem, right?

Yes.

> I assume you would like the material in HelpSystem to be on the web, too.

Yes.
> -Ralph

And we need an agreement on the kind of text format the 'original' of
the documentation is stored in.
The selection of a lightweight markup language
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/149201.html

It is not so important which one as long as we use a common subset and
have converters between the various approaches. Somebody suggested
'reStructuredText'
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

What is currently in use is plain text (Torsten B. / HelpSystem) and
the Smalltalk text format (Andreas R. / Help menu)

--Hannes