Pareto (was Re: [squeak-dev] Release blues?)

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 18:21:17 UTC 2010

Comments inline.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:
<snip />

> I read a report a while ago (my google-fu is not strong enough to find it
> though) that it is quite normal in open-source projects to have very few
> very active contributors and many more less active contributors. That's the
> Pareto principle at work. So I'm not desperate at all :)

It would seem that this rule extends beyond "open source software" all the
way to "user generated content." At Snapvine we saw something like the
Pareto ratio between producers/heavy users and consumers/casual users of our
VOIP content creation system. I would bet money that e.g. YouTube has had a
similar experience.

I really wonder about where that number really comes from:)

I am, however, interested in what others perceive to be obstacles to