[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Talking to Steve Jobs about Scratch.

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 23:59:56 UTC 2010

On 22 April 2010 02:21, Stephen Pair <stephen at pairhome.net> wrote:
> I don't view it this way at all.  There are plenty of valid reasons for the
> steps that Apple has taken.  It's difficult to make a really great product
> when you have lots of difference constituencies you have to worry about as
> you move forward.  Constraining the variables helps ensure you can deliver a
> good product with finite resources.  It's only about control in the sense
> that they need to exert a certain amount of control to ensure the product
> isn't crushed by the weight of its own success and that they can continue to
> deliver a great end user experience.

Flawed reasoning. See: You can fall a victim of own success only, if
you can't cope with competitors
and quality of your products is become lower than theirs.
Sure, this is likely to happen in a big and vibrant atmosphere, where
new ideas constantly popping up from everywhere.
And to secure yourself from such fault, it is logical to seal your
product, and put barriers between developers
and consumers. So, in that way, you can be sure that your products
will be always of highest quality.
But the point is, that "high quality" there is only because you don't
give others a chance to compete & play on the
same ground and use same rules and access same resources as you do.
Its like playing a dice game with someone, who at every his roll
declaring that he wons, because he just changed the rules,
, and at every your roll saying that you lose, because rules changed
again. So its not matter what your dices shows - you'll aways lose.

I am glad, that there is at least Google using different philosophy
for their products.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.