[squeak-dev] SMSqueakMapAdminView (was Maui 1.2 release 1)

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 04:31:29 UTC 2010

Hi Chris M.,

1. It's been renamed "SqueakMap Catalog". There is no "SqueakMap Package
Loader" on 4.1 from the "open ..." menu.

2. You and I should be made admins to it -- immediately. The category you
wanted added -- 4.1 -- could be added from the online (
map.squeak.org/SMSqueakMapAdminView) control panel in two seconds, if we
were.

3. The "bus factor" of SM is 0.5. That is, Göran is so busy, he's paying
attention part of the time.  It'll get worse when he's a mentor for the
Google Summer Of Code.

4. It's hard to get replies from Göran no matter what. The guy is just plain
busy.

5. If SM is going to be relevant to the community, then the load has got to
be spread around some.

6. Göran's code and SM in general is the best example of Smalltalk I've ever
seen. If there were class (with chairs) on Squeak you could learn everything
you needed to equip yourself learning it alone, which brings me to ...

7. HttpView2 is awesome. This is where people wanting to build web pages
with Smalltalk should start. (Get the one from SqueakSource. The one on SM
will not load.) Seaside is great, but I don't have many complex ( read none
) domain models to create views for. HV2 deserves higher exposure if for no
other reason that it's mature, simple, and doesn't change under you, while
you're trying to learn it.

8. The Guild is really funny. http://www.watchtheguild.com

9. Göran is funny too. Naming a method "seppuku" is just amusing. He's
always throwing in stuff like that. Reading his code is fun. #ping ^'pong'
should be in every web application by fiat.

10. map.squeak.org is hosted on a 3.8 image. This is not good, I don't
think.

11. SMServer (won't load from SM; not available on SS) cannot be loaded into
4.1. This is not good, if for no reason other than it is an excellent
example of how to build a worthwhile application with HV2. Also, it's server
to the client in every Squeak image -- SMSqueakMap.

12. If the duties Göran would have to perform for SM aren't spread around,
then SM will keep drifting away.

Chris C.