[Esug-list] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Talking to Steve Jobs about Scratch.

casimiro barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 19:42:26 UTC 2010

2010/4/22 Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ofset.org>

> 2010/4/21 John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>
>
> Phil, last week I asked the smalltalk community (ESUG  etc), to stay claim
>> and wait for Apple to think about it based on an email
>> exchange I had with Steve Jobs. At the time I thought it prudent to wait a
>> further decision or statement.
>>
>> Give that Wired publish Alan & my thoughts on the matter it's likely now
>> time to consider what to do next.
>>
>> So this is NOT the fault of ESUG not being proactive, they were itching to
>> do something.
>>
>> At the moment I believe they are collecting ideas how to approach the
>> problem in a meaningful manner.
>> Suggestions are welcome.
>>

> I guess you already though about this one but hit *gently* where it hurts:
> Google.
>
> Explain there a few things: in one hand Apple decided to wipe out non home
> dev. tools, in the other hand Android is wide open, then Google support
> dynamic languages, and Smalltalk particularly, throught GSoC initiative.
>
> Hilaire
>

> --
> http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire
>

> The problem with Apple policies regarding to what *they allow* to be
installed either in iPhone and iPad extrapolates by far the problem of what
computer languages *they allow* applications be developed in. They're
actively practicing private censorship over general processing platforms.
This  is monopolist action and by all means wrong and possibly unlawful
against consumers. If they intend to take such actions they should advertise
everywhere that *any aplication/content* allowed to be installed in
iPhone/iPad via AppleStore (the only valid source of applications and
content unless you jailbreak your iPhone/iPad which is contrary to license
agreement) is subject to previous approval by Apple and content may be
removed at short notice.

So, the problem goes far beyond scratch.

BTW, it is so important that unless they change their police I stopped to
develop anything using Apple platforms.

CdAB