[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Sound-wiz.16.mcz

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 02:28:00 UTC 2010

The Inbox: Sound-wiz.16.mcz

"The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning." --Mark Twain

"Omit needless words. Omit needless words. Omit needless words." William Strunk, Jr.  The Elements of Style

Hi Bert,

>Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
<...>
>But you seem to have missed the discussion that we do not want it to be named #sound, but #asSound. Please resubmit.

Actual I didn't miss that discussion. I just haven't completed it.

My first reaction was to think that if all I needed to do was change the name it would be effectively the same. Sitting with that thought I grew more uncomfortable.

It's true that there is a style for conversion that uses asXYZ. But it is also true that there are conversions that take place that avoid that style. One doesn't say "String new asWriteStream" one says "String new writeStream." Other examples abound if one cares to look for them. They don't call attention to themselves because they don't sound awkward as asXYZ sounds.

My original story was to implement #asSound but a big smile came on my face when I said "'click' sound play" aloud. I'd come as close to what I want my code to read like as I can make it. You've come with my thinking this far. Can I convince you to come the rest of the way?

The rest of the nits I am happy to fix. Thanks for the feedback.