[squeak-dev] MessageTally problems

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Apr 23 03:32:41 UTC 2010

On 2010-04-22, at 6:29 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

> Check out the time for incremental GC's..  Yes, that really is
> eighteen quintillion, four hundred forty-six quadrillion, seven
> hundred forty-four trillion, seventy billion, two hundred eighty-eight
> million, one hundred twenty-one thousand, eight hundred eighty
> milliseconds spent doing incremental GC's.  That can't be right...
> :)

Well I've not looked but I guess someone did convert the tally logic to use the NEW microsecond clock so the

11,482,061ms   is 11 seconds  482,061 micro seconds.

Also I stick the 64 bit value for the microsecond clock into a large positive integer.

positive64BitIntegerFor  so the 18446744070288121880 is actually negative if you convert back to a 64bit integer
and do some math to arrive at what the signed value is.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882