[squeak-dev] PipeableOSProcess forkAndExec arguements

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 24 12:35:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:40:59PM -0500, Arushi Aggarwal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to startup a squeak image from another squeak image. I
> have the following command.
>
> p := PipeableOSProcess  forkAndExec:'Squeak.exe'
>                        arguments: #('Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image')
>                        environment: nil
>                        descriptors: nil
>                        workingDir: 'C:\Documents and Settings\Arushi
> Aggarwal\Desktop\CS598\win32-Squeak3.10.2-7179\Squeak3.10.2-7179\'
>                        errorPipelineStream:(InternalPipe
> nonBlockingPipe nextPutAll: 'this is the error stream '; yourself).
>
> It does not seem to recognize the argument that is being passed, and
> prompts for the user to choose the image. Both Squeak.exe and the
> image lie in the path that has been specified as the workingDir.
>
> Is there anything else I can do to make it recognize the argument?

Hi Arushi,

OSProcess support for Windows is not as complete as it should be,
so some of the things that work on Linux do not work properly on
Windows. It looks like you have successfully built an OSProcessPlugin
for your Windows system (well done!). I do not have a Windows system
with me today and I have not looked at this in a while, but I am
afraid that passing command line arguments may be one of the things
that is not complete on Windows.

Another thing that could be an issue is that the OS pipe support
on Windows does not work, so on Windows you cannot read and write
the input and output streams to the external Squeak process that
you are starting. I don't know it that is a concern for you or not.

Dave