[squeak-dev] Implementing a "prototype" in Squeak

Miso fojtik at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 15:07:27 UTC 2010

Hi, I'm trying to creating a concept similar to "prototype" (like
prototype-oriented programming) in Squeak. What I want is an object's
methodDictionary to be stored in itself. So when I send a message to an
instance, Squeakshould look in the instance's dictionary (as opposed to
class' dictionary) and call method stored there.

Closest thing I managed to do was create an anonymous class (subclass on my
custom class) for each instance and return instance of this class, and store
the anonymous class in the instance so I can work with it. Is there any
other way to do it, without modifying compiler/VM or writing custom
compiler? If not, please give some pointers where to look for some
information about "core" of Squeak.

Thanks
Michael