[squeak-dev] The Inbox: DesktopBackgroundLoader-sbw.20.mcz

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 22:43:31 UTC 2010

On 4/24/10, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 24.04.2010, at 01:15, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
>>
>> A new version of DesktopBackgroundLoader was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/DesktopBackgroundLoader-sbw.20.mcz

>> Name: DesktopBackgroundLoader-sbw.20
>> Author: sbw
>> Time: 23 April 2010, 8:15:17.965 pm
>> UUID: bd0f5baa-9676-4e16-9e04-893e65f26d25
>> Ancestors: DesktopBackgroundLoader-sbw.19
>>
>> Published for general distribution.  See Extras menu from Dock for access.

> I find that duplication of FileList functionality somewhat questionable. If
> this became a specialized FileList for choosing images, along with its
> previews etc., that would be great. But all this effort just to choose a
> background?

I am happy having the functionality in 4.1 with this package. For me
this is a need.

But I agree that a subclass of FileList for choosing images is better.

So for including it into the image it should be that. For having as an
addon-package it may remain as is and people can download it from
Stephen's web site.

> In any case, to consider this for inclusion in trunk, it should not be a
> separate package. Packages that modify other packages are a Bad Thing. This
> one removes a method from the Morphic package (interestingly, the Morphic
> package is not marked dirty, that's a bug).
Yes

> My suggestion would be to make the extras menu (or rather, the whole menu
> bar) extensible, then this package would not have to touch that existing
> method. Then this could just be a loadable package.
>
> - Bert -

Having an extensible extras menu is a thing Stephen prefers. Who is
going to do this?

--Hannes