[squeak-dev] Re: Pragmas (Re: The Inbox: Morphic-phite.429.mcz)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 22:21:50 UTC 2010

I do not really understand this joke in particular as Andreas writes

<citation>Terminology is important and the terminology we currently
have is *extremely* confusing. People refer to "pragmas" and whenever
a third party hears that they think "oh, compiler stuff, better stay
away from it" not realizing that that's not what these are. This is
how this discussion started after all.</citation>

I agree with him. Please note the workd 'extremly'. And that is why I
am reluctant having these pragmas 'crawl' into menu definitions.

As I have seen so far
- Pragmas are used in connection with primitives
- they are used in connection with package versions.

Therefore I do not see a need to connect them to menus.

Bert, if you insist on having them for the menus then we need to add
comments explaining that once more the Smalltalk community has gone
for another idiosyncratic term.

--Hannes