[squeak-dev] [Urgent][4.1.1] Squeak screen shot and backgrounds / display of pictures

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Apr 26 22:38:29 UTC 2010

On 27.04.2010, at 00:12, Hannes Hirzel wrote

> As we now find out is that FileList has not good code in it.

You are misunderstanding what Hans-Martin meant. This is not about the code in FileList.

Squeak's "Text" class does support embedded graphics. This is way more powerful and elegant than cooking up a FileList replacement, or extending FileList with a special bitmap preview facility. All one would have to do is instead of showing a bitmap file's contents as text characters, have it show a text containing the form itself (plus possibly some more detailed text).

The problem is that that support seems to suffer from bit rot. I bet there are people on this list who wouldn't even know it exists. Former Squeak releases made use of this even in the Welcome text window (I remember a multi-colored 'S' in 'Squeak') - maybe we should resurrect that :)

In any case I agree with HMM that this would be the most elegant route.

- Bert -