[squeak-dev] [Urgent][4.1.1] Squeak screen shot and backgrounds / display of pictures

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 22:56:18 UTC 2010

Hello Bert

On 4/26/10, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 27.04.2010, at 00:12, Hannes Hirzel wrote
>
>> As we now find out is that FileList has not good code in it.
>
> You are misunderstanding what Hans-Martin meant. This is not about the code
> in FileList.

I think I did understand Martin quite well.

> Squeak's "Text" class does support embedded graphics.

Yes, I am aware of this. I have used it in the past.

>This is way more
> powerful and elegant than cooking up a FileList replacement, or extending
> FileList with a special bitmap preview facility.

My concern at _this_ very moment is that Squeak 4.1 does not have a
preview for graphic files in the FileList.

Having that will solve the immediate problem that a new person who
starts to use the FileList will think: "what have these guys been
doing all the time if can't display a graphic image in the file
explorer?"

>All one would have to do is
> instead of showing a bitmap file's contents as text characters, have it show
> a text containing the form itself (plus possibly some more detailed text).

Yes, sure. That is a good solution.

> The problem is that that support seems to suffer from bit rot. I bet there
> are people on this list who wouldn't even know it exists. Former Squeak
> releases made use of this even in the Welcome text window (I remember a
> multi-colored 'S' in 'Squeak') - maybe we should resurrect that :)

It would be great to have that back.

> In any case I agree with HMM that this would be the most elegant route.

I agree too but who is going to fix the Text class ....

> - Bert -

Cheers
-- Hannes