[squeak-dev] Documentation suggestion: why not a road map?

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 12:17:07 UTC 2010

Hello,

I was wondering about documentation & adoption of smalltalk by people
outside "our gang". One thing I remember from the beginnings of Java is
that Sun distributed (for free) a book called Java Roadmap which covered
the language itself and pretty much of the core libraries.

Such roadmap is nonexistent for squeak. There are several really good
books but each book covers only specific topics or is very partial in
its coverage of more general topics. For instance, imagine someone
interested in a very basic thing like using Morph tree to build user
interfaces: there's something called LayoutPolicy that's not explained
anywhere (yes, in the Laser Game Tutorial  LayoutPolicy is presented but
not explained) and several other things that a person with little or no
knowledge of Smalltalk/Self or any other thing that uses Morph will not
understand and will not find properly documented anywhere.

I would suggest that people talented in writing books & tutorials take
the "roadmap" paradigm for the next book. It would make easier to
attract students, teachers & new developers.

Best regards,

CdAB