[squeak-dev] <Method Tags> (Pragmas)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 22:21:11 UTC 2010

Travis,
I like the name <method tag>.
I have been checking out definitions for pragma today and the way it
is used is in connection with compiler directives. The name as such
refers to 'pragmatic information' which actually would have the wider
meaning we want to use it for.

However the name <method tag> avoids problems. And people will feel at
ease because of the < > bracket notation.

So topic is not dead at all. To the contrary: Andreas has been busy
today with the Pharo community to work on <method tags> for
preferences. That we get a compatible solution. (details see Pharo
list).

Your points are well noted.
Yes it is tempting to grow micro-DSLs with <method tags>.

The challenge is now to get a good solution.

--Hannes

P.S. From the link cited below

Menu Items Are Objects Too

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/travis/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Menu_Items_Are_Objects_Too&entry=3354355944

The remark at the end should be put in BOLD
<citation>
There is a "trap" that we seem to fall in repeatedly with these method
tags. We try to program with them. Every experience I have like this
convinces me that this is a bad idea. We should program with
Smalltalk. We should use tags simply to annotate simple meta data to a
given method.
</citation>