[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak All-in-One

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Apr 30 08:44:03 UTC 2010

On 30.04.2010, at 05:05, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 4/29/2010 2:51 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Agreed. Let's build it. But Amazon marketing be damned, please don't call it "1-click". Makes me cringe every time.
>>
>> Actually ... I just made one. Only tested on Mac and Linux-i686, but chances are it works on Windows, too:
>>
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/Experiments/Squeak-4.1-All-in-One.zip
>
> This is great! I see someone has already put a copy into the 4.1 directory - should we put this up as a download option on www.squeak.org, perhaps labeled "Universal Install"? (to make clear that it applies to all platforms)
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

People seem to like it, it appears to work, sure, should be on the download page.

Not sure about "Universal Install" - it's not a proper installation at all, more like a teaser. Something more like

If you just want to try Squeak, download this all-in-one package which will work without installation on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. After unzipping, double click it ("Squeak.exe" on Windows, "Squeak.sh" on Linux).

I see this mostly as teaser for beginners at this point.

It also is a more visible template for how to deploy desktop Squeak applications. This scheme exists for at least 4 years now (*), but is still somewhat unknown in the community. We *do* have a documentation problem ;)

- Bert -

(*) from http://www.esug.org/data/ESUG2006/esug06_inno_aw_plopp.pdf

Application Directory Layout: We came up with a portable directory structure which keeps Mac, Windows, and Linux VMs, image and content data in a single place. On the Mac, you simply drag-and-drop the Plopp application icon from the CD to your application folder, and double-click it to run. The very same icon appears as directory on Windows and Linux. Once copied to the hard-drive, double-clicking Croquet.exe or Croquet.sh in that directory launches Plopp.

And while impara (headed by Michael Rueger) won the price, this also depended on VM features added by John McIntosh and Andreas Raab for Mac and Windows. Only unix with its shell scripting was flexible enough to not need a VM change, so I could do that one my own ;)