[squeak-dev] Trying to import csv data, no love

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 06:25:45 UTC 2010

Loaded the latest from

http://www.squeaksource.com/CSV

Did...

rows := CSVParser parse: (FileStream readOnlyFileNamed:
'/Users/casey/Desktop/SCDB_2010_01_justiceCentered_Vote.csv')

Got...

"Error: invalid utf8 input detected"

Relevant region of code might be...

MultiByteFileStream>>next

| char secondChar state |
char := converter nextFromStream: self.

converter is a UTF8TextConverter. Wondering if maybe I need a different text
converter? Given that this is a CSV file, I'm thinking the system might be
expecting UTF-8 where it's actually getting ASCII. The CSV package hasn't
had any attention in a while, so that makes some sense (IIRC there was a
shift to UTF-8 not very long ago, no?)

If anyone is wondering, I'm playing with an idea around dynamic data-centric
web interfaces:) and need some raw data to represent, hence the CSV file.

Any ideas?
--
Casey Ransberger