[squeak-dev] Re: [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Aug 5 08:03:43 UTC 2010

On 05.08.2010, at 05:16, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On 03/08/10 23:44, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Yup, if you have an iPhone/iPad check out http://www.jailbreakme.com/
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>  - Andreas
>>
>> IMHO nothing much has changed. Jail-breaking will still void your warranty.
>>
>> Anyhow, people previously reported success installing and running the Etoys ipa on a jail-broken iPad:
>>
>> 	http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/
>
> Yes it works for me ;-) Thank you for the great job.

You're welcome!

If someone is interested to help developing/beta-testing Etoys on the iPad, I will sign the app so it runs on their (non-jailbroken) iPad.

Also, if someone just wants to know how it feels to use Squeak on a touch screen, please download my touch emulator image. Should work on all platforms:

	http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/etoys-touch-100620.zip

I'd be interested in feedback if this works on Windows and Linux, too - you should get a huge hand instead of a mouse pointer (and tap the About flap to try some preferences).

> Bert, how could i change the image provided in the ipa file ?

If you are just interested in accessing the Smalltalk tools, tap the About flap and disable the "etoys-friendly" preference. Then you get the regular world menu when tapping the background, and you can jump to the top-level project which has some tools open already (this is an Etoys-4.1alpha developer image).

To use a different image, it would be best to compile your own application:

	http://isqueak.org/

And the ipa is just a zip file. Replacing the image in the zip might work.

- Bert -