[squeak-dev] Re: [OT] How this bring Squeak closer to iPad ?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Aug 5 11:12:10 UTC 2010

On 05.08.2010, at 12:48, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On 05/08/10 15:03, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Yes it works for me ;-) Thank you for the great job.
>>
>> You're welcome!
>>
>> If someone is interested to help developing/beta-testing Etoys on the iPad, I will sign the app so it runs on their (non-jailbroken) iPad.
>
> Hum, i already jailbreak my ipad ... If you sign the app, it will be much easier to use for people who don't want to jailbreak their machine i guess.

The app is signed, but only for the UDID of the iPads of my beta testers. It just happens that jailbreaking disables the signature check.

If you want to sign the app yourself you need to buy a developer license, which is $99/year. The signature is valid for one year and you can sign for up to 100 machines. As I wrote previously, this is the very best option for you.

Anyhow, Etoys on the iPad is not ready for users anyway, as you certainly noticed. So I'm not worried about distribution yet.

>> Also, if someone just wants to know how it feels to use Squeak on a touch screen, please download my touch emulator image. Should work on all platforms:
>>
>> 	http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/etoys-touch-100620.zip
>>
>> I'd be interested in feedback if this works on Windows and Linux, too - you should get a huge hand instead of a mouse pointer (and tap the About flap to try some preferences).
>>
>>> Bert, how could i change the image provided in the ipa file ?
>>
>> If you are just interested in accessing the Smalltalk tools, tap the About flap and disable the "etoys-friendly" preference. Then you get the regular world menu when tapping the background, and you can jump to the top-level project which has some tools open already (this is an Etoys-4.1alpha developer image).
>>
>> To use a different image, it would be best to compile your own application:
>>
>> 	http://isqueak.org/
>>
>> And the ipa is just a zip file. Replacing the image in the zip might work.
>
> Yes, i just discover that .ipa are .zip file in fact.
> Does the VM provided in your ipa file support block closure ?

Yes. It's John's 5.x iSqueak VM (svn rev 196 from May 2010), with a few patches.

Are you coming to Camp Smalltalk before ESUG by chance?

- Bert -