Want: #slice: (Re: [squeak-dev] Noob question: array slice?)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 01:20:21 UTC 2010

On 6 August 2010 17:45, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:

> Casey> It's literally adding a method to make the cuneiform smalltalk
> Casey> crap accessible to new people, who are liable to search on terms
> Casey> like 'slice.'
>
> It takes only a few hours with Smalltalk to learn that Smalltalk uses
> its own terminology for a lot of things, and then how to search for such
> things, regardless of their name.
>
> What you are asking for is something that would be useful for only
> those first few hours, and then be a maintenance clutter for the
> remaining years of programming.
>
> I vote "-1".

+1 to your -1.

I don't remember that i had a need for such behavior so often.
I always trying to avoid copying, because it kills performance.
The only thing, which is close to slicing is parsing a source
code/xml, where you
splitting a big text on a smaller parts by tokenizing them. But even
then, you don't need something like 'slice',
because you usually using streams to parse data, and read input sequentially.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.