[squeak-dev] CORBA?

Derek O'Connell doc at doconnel.f9.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 05:19:52 UTC 2010

  On 12/08/10 14:02, Göran Krampe wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Just a quick check - any of you out there having had to talk to some
> system with CORBA? And how? AFAIK there is no CORBA IIOP ORB available
> for Squeak. Perhaps the D-Bus stuff can talk to CORBA using some bridge?
>
> Any other "smooth" solution? Using some lib over FFI?
>
> regards, Göran

Hi Goran,

you don't say what degree of access is required so I'm assuming you want
to call a specific service. A long time ago I wrote a Lotus Notes
plug-in for a telco to book conference calls via CORBA. IIRC I boiled it
down to a simplified C-lib which hid away all the CORBA details. So I
guess the first suggestion would be to look for an existing simplified
C-lib for whatever service you want to use. More than likely someone has
already produced one but if not then (IIRC) you need the IDL spec for
the service and an IDL compiler to produce C-stubs from which to produce
your own lib. This was a long time ago so maybe there are easier ways now.

-D