[squeak-dev] Community contributions to non-supported packages

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Wed Aug 18 23:04:12 UTC 2010

Like many of you, when I find code that doesn't work, I often fix it.  For
me, this is one of the joys of Smalltalk.  And it's awesome that Squeak and
Pharo have an inbox where I can share my fix while it's being considered for
incorporation into the image.  What would be awesome is if there was a
similar process for projects on SqS.  I know that the community-supported
packages idea covers a segment of these (that qualify based on tests, etc.),
but this leaves (most?) packages on SqS that may be valuable to the
community but will not qualify as supported.

After fixing the HTML & CSS Validating Parser on SqS, and having to upload
to a special repo because I did not have write access, I sent the following
to the Pharo list:
<snip>
However, this is a lovely opportunity to repeat my call for either (or maybe
both):
* (my favorite) create an inbox for each project on SqS, just like for
Squeak and Pharo trunk, so users can choose between the bleeding edge (which
would include contributions like this one) or the last officially blessed
one; but they would all be in the same place and obvious to find.
* or, send an email to all SqS emails saying that if they don't affirm
responsibility for their project within X amount of time, the repo will be
released to the community i.e. made w/r.

I also seem to remember a suggestion at one point to have a list of people
that were approved to commit to any repo on SqS.

The point is, make it easy to contribute and people will.  It is a downer to
go through the work of fixing packages, only to put them in my own repo
where they may never be found by users, because the repo is read-only and I
can't get in touch with the admins.

<rant>
Also, adding oneself to each repo is RUBBISH!!!!!  Even though I usually
take the time, I shudder at the thought of all the community fixes that were
kept personally or thrown away because it was a hassle to share them.  I'm
sure many people, like me, just fix things that are broken.  This is the
whole beauty of a live system that's turtles all the way down - my system's
menus are broken, great, I just spend 20 minutes fixing them for every user
on the planet vs. the typical X months (if ever) for an OS vendor to get
around to a fix
</rant>

Sean