[squeak-dev] Questions about SRP

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 13:11:47 UTC 2010

Hi folks/Paul. First, sorry for the cross-posting. Let me know if I should
ask this in another place.

I am interested in SRP and to understand the differences with
SmartRefStream, ImageSegment, SIXX, parcels, etc. First I would like to find
as much info as possible. Right now I found:

http://techsupport.gemstone.com/entries/175881-srp-3-1-007-0
http://sourceforge.net/projects/srp/
http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/94ec671f-6615-4ece-9ab0-5d4addc3be8d/package/bae4b8c3-210f-48b6-8819-eae30354d021

These seems to be dead:
http://www.ccse.kfupm.edu.sa/~sohel/IMPP/references/About+State+Replication+Protocol+(SRP).html
http://www.whysmalltalk.com/Smalltalk_Solutions/sts2004/pdf/Baumann.pdf

And....class side methods #documentation

is there something else?

Now, my questions:

1) Does SRP supports cycles in my subgraph? If true, how do you achieve
that?

2) What happens with objects like nil, true, false, or any other object that
has to be unique in Smalltalk. I mean, how can I make sure that when I load
the subgraph in another image, I won't have duplicates of nil, true, etc ?

3) Does it provide a way to fix problems like having to rehash Set instances
or things like that?

4) Does it supports class reshape?  suppose I put in the file objects of a
certain class and then I load the file in another image where that class has
different shape (re-order of instVar, rename, new insVar, etc...). If true,
how do you achieve that?

5) Do you handle BlockClosure (or BlockCOntext), MethodCoontext,
CompiledMethods and things like that ?

Thanks a lot for any hints you can give me.

Mariano