[squeak-dev] Why Cuis?

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Aug 23 12:16:52 UTC 2010

Hi Casey,

Casey Ransberger wrote:
> To be clear: I am not arguing against rebasing the trunk on Cuis. I'm just not clear on what we gain by doing so, rather than by continuing to make packages unloadable, and by settling on a mechanism to reload them on demand, while keeping reasonable safeguards in place to make sure they'll work with a particular release.
>
> Andreas, Juan? Care to comment?

I'll let Andreas comment. It is his idea. I just offered to help with my
knowledge of Cuis.

> I appreciate that Cuis really does keep with the spirit of ST-80, whereas Squeak has seen some design drift in it's use as a research environment.

Yes. Well put.

> My biggest concern is: has Cuis seen the same scrutiny that went into Squeak 4.0 with regard to licensing concerns? Have we run this idea past the SFC?

 From http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html :

"License
Cuis is distributed subject to the MIT License, as in
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php . Any contribution
submitted for incorporation into or for distribution with Cuis shall be
presumed subject to the same license.

Portions of Cuis are:
Copyright (c) Xerox Corp. 1981, 1982
Copyright (c) Apple Computer, Inc. 1985-1996
Copyright (c) Contributors to Squeak and Cuis projects. 1997-2010"

This is also included in the Cuis distributions, both in a txt file and
in text in a text editor inside Cuis.

Isn't this clear enough?

The original effort to get rid of the old "Squeak License" was done for
Etoys by VPRI. That experience was later replicated in Pharo, Cuis and
Squeak. (I believe it was done in that order). I removed any non license
clean code from Cuis before naming it "Cuis" and announcing it here.
Therefore, every Cuis release has always been MIT license. I said this
many times from the first time Cuis was published, I never said
otherwise, and nobody ever questioned this. The tools for the code
authorship audit are included in Cuis if you want to run them.

Besides, the code in Cuis is a subset of the code in Squeak after Squeak
was released under MIT, except for additions done exclusively by me. My
agreement to relicense my contributions to Squeak under MIT is filed by
VPRI, together with the rest of such agreements.

Please, don't create FUD for no reason.

> One thing that I do think might be interesting: what might we learn by merging with a fork? I'd hope we might learn a lot about merging forks in. Could come in handy when it comes time to (hopefully) rebase Etoys on Squeak; possibly other things.
>
> In any event, you will have my support to the extent that I'm able to be of service.

Good.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich