[squeak-dev] (no subject)

Schwab,Wilhelm K bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Mon Aug 23 21:16:34 UTC 2010

Andreas,

Thanks for code, but should this not be in the image, associated in some way with ExternalAddress and/or ByteArray?

Can I simply use a ByteArray to make a buffer that I pass to an external library?  My understanding is that it could be moved by the gc (ouch!!)  Am I wrong?  If there is a way to instantiate a byte array that won't move, great.  What about ExternalAddress>>finalize?

Bill

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Aug 23 20:33:04 UTC 2010

On 8/23/2010 12:46 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> Are there any well-worn ways to move data into and out of external memory?

You mean like:

memcpyTo: destAddr from: srcAddr length: sz
	<cdecl: long 'memcpy' (void* void* ulong) module: 'libc.so'>
	^self externalCallFailed