[squeak-dev] Smalltalk and functional programming

Rob Withers reefedjib at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 18:02:25 UTC 2010

Yes, I forgot "logic", but this raises a good point.   I brushed by what I
really meant, which is not that the Squeak language is a dynamic functional
object-oriented language, but rather that the Squeak environment supports
dynamic OO, functional, yes logic, and probably statically typed OO
languages.   Is a Closure part of the language or the environment?

I would like the original poster to challenge his functional friends to
write a Haskell or Ocaml compiler in Squeak, a la the Prolog compiler that
exists somewhere on the net (SqueakSource?).   They can specify a Class
which uses the Ocaml compiler and compile the methods as functions - or
whatever works best.   Perfectly doable, I surmise.

As Alejandro is saying, paraphrasing, it is all about the environment, not
the language.

Cheers,
Rob