[squeak-dev] Re: Meeting Report for 8/18/2010

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 04:34:20 UTC 2010

El mar, 24-08-2010 a las 20:47 -0700, Andreas Raab escribió:
> On 8/24/2010 8:23 PM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez wrote:
> > El mar, 24-08-2010 a las 17:19 -0700, Andreas Raab escribió:
> >> Don't feed this troll.
> >>
> >>     - A.
> >
> > Come on Andreas, what is this attitude of letting your friends to say
> > what they want but jumping to put a troll label to any other that think
> > different, Isn't mature.
>
> I think it's perfectly mature to call a troll a troll while letting
> people who are presenting criticism in good faith (such as Pavel) say
> what they want to say. That is exactly the difference between the two.

Well, I suppose that Levente's comment about the capabilities of the
pharo developers is in good faith too and that is the reason that it is
permitted in this list.

> Also, if this were your first troll, I'd give you a bit more leeway. But
> it's not, you have a history of making inflammatory comments on this
> list and I don't want others to fall for your trap.

Considering your own history of burning very capable developers in the
past and that you were a key player in the events that lead to the Pharo
fork from Squeak, I suppose that I must feel very honored to be called a
troll by you.

> In short, if you're commenting with the purpose of improving Squeak,
> you're welcome. If indeed that was your intention, then I'm looking
> forward to your elaboration and contributions on how to improve Squeak.
> However, if you're commenting with the only purpose of proving the
> superiority of Pharo, you're not. You can post those comments on the
> Pharo list where I'm sure they will be welcome.

No, I'm not saying that Pharo is better that Squeak, in fact my response
to Levente's comment was, just as his, preceded by IMHO. That is, no
very humble from him nor from me.

Now, he in fact suggested that the developers on Pharo were lesser
capable (and maybe we are, but that don't stops us from improving Pharo
a little each day) and that even by hiring full time developers, Pharo
couldn't match the level of expertise that the squeak developers have.
That is really not humble at all.

Finally I was responding to a comment by Levente that seem to me very
offensive to the Pharo developers. Had he say that in any other list I
will have respond all the same, isn't a Squeak list trolling as you put
it. So think what you want.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx