[squeak-dev] Documentation Team

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 06:20:27 UTC 2010

On 4/19/10, Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at
>
> http://squeak.org/Community/Teams/
>
> I don't see a documentation team listed. Has it been disbanded?
>
> If the documentation team has been disbanded, I would like to offer to lead
> a new documentation team (in which case I would draft up a proposal with
> expected deliverables, etc.) If the documentation team has not been
> disbanded, I would like to join it.

Casey,

you started this thread in April and there was quite some interest of
people contributing but for lack of time or maybe lack of an
appropriate approach only few things have happened. There are notable
exceptions one. We have a help browser in the trunk by now and a good
example of a documentation (Webclient) as well as one (1) tutorial
about reading XML files.

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. suggest that the should continue this effort
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-August/152703.html.

Casey Ransberger writes that he needs to find time.

We are facing challenges here.

1) How do we include the help of people with maybe time as little as 1
hour per month (but who have a huge Smalltalk knowhow, e.g. R.J.)

2) Where should we start?

My answers
1) Have two persons who have commit access to the trunk who the other
commiters trust who will commit changes. It is very motivating if I
write a class comment for example and one day later it is in all my
trunk images I update.

2a) I would say it should be customer driven. We should go to the
beginners list and ask them what they want to know and try to work
there.
2b) I did some querying about which classes need comments. More
information available on request.

--Hannes