[squeak-dev] Re: About unloading of packages in the most recent Squeak 4.1 trunk

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Aug 27 03:18:26 UTC 2010

On 8/24/2010 1:16 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Manually re-ordering the update map is just a work-around for not being able to update multiple packages together. If we could, the order would not matter for moving classes/methods around.

You know there's a funny thing there: I actually think it may be
possible to load multiple packages together these days as long as we're
incrementally updating. We've fixed so many things in MC loading that I
believe it *may* just be safe to do that.

Except that ... if you would then use that to load all the unloaded
packages back in you'd may try to load the traits package together with
a package using traits or the FFI package together with a package using
the FFI etc. and that can't possibly work because in order to load the
second package the first must be *installed*. Which requires loading
them sequentially :-)

So there you have it. It's kind of a tricky situation.

Cheers,
   - Andreas