[squeak-dev] Sophie MPEG Player

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Aug 28 10:32:56 UTC 2010

On 28.08.2010, at 02:21, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> OK, I've pulled the MPEG player from Sophie. It looks worlds better.
>
> http://smalltalktelevision.com/player2.jpg
>
> It's also at http://www.squeaksource.com/MultiMedia.html
>
> It opens with:
>
> MPEGMoviePlayerMorph new openInWorld
>
> Chris

Awesome! :)

IIRC it was rather hard to recode video to an mpeg format this would accept.

And a solution that would not require recoding would be preferable.

On Linux we have John's GStreamer plugin, and he once compiled it on OS X too. Not sure how hard it would be to port to Windows.

The Best Way would be a generic VideoPlugin that would have different implementations for each platform (e.g. QuickTime on Mac, GStreamer on Linux, DirectShow on Windows). That would be quite some development effort, however.

- Bert -