[squeak-dev] Re: Cryptography in trunk (Re: [Cryptography Team] Re:DigitalSignatureAlgorithm>>#initRandomNonInteractivelyis not random)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Aug 29 02:25:34 UTC 2010

On 8/28/2010 9:17 AM, Rob Withers wrote:
> 1) What should be the final package naming? I chose CryptoCore, etc. You
> think CryptoCerts should be Certificates. Bert and Colin had suggestions
> for Crypto-Core and Tests (I especially like Colin's suggestion). I have
> renamed the packages here to Crypto-Core, etc, but not Certificates yet
> (which has extension protocol cat name changes), but I have not pushed
> them to Inbox. Given final naming, I can push to Inbox and you can clean
> out old stuff. So what's the final naming decision?

Here is my proposal (not final; feel free to discuss or modify):

   CryptoCore        -> Crypto-Core
   CryptoExtras      -> Crypto-Extras
   CryptoCoreTests   -> Crypto-Tests-Core
   CryptoExtrasTests -> Crypto-Tests-Extras

   CryptoCerts       -> Certificates-Core
   CryptoCertsTests  -> Certificates-Tests

> 2) Are there packages in trunk that are not built in the trunk image? If
> not, where do alternate packages live? I wonder where Certificates will
> end up.

I would keep Certificates and SSL in the Cryptography repository on
Squeaksource for the time being. We may choose a different repository at
some point, but for now the Cryptography repository seems like a fine place.

> 3) I published SSL to Inbox. Same question as #2.

Same answer. Let's keep it in the Cryptography repository for now.

> 4) Certificates. Perhaps better suited to its own thread. Currently used
> by SSL's SSLCertificateStore, which is an in-memory certificate store of
> certificates and their private keys and root CA certificates. I do not
> recall the level of support to passing certificate chains. Several
> topics here. Should we establish a persistent Squeak certificate store,
> where we have a key database file, encrypted, and a cert database file
> not encrypted? Kinda like NSS. We could apply for a Squeak CA
> certificate from Verisign or someone and then have a way to allow
> Squeakers to apply for a signed cert from the Squeak CA. (generate CSR
> from local certStore, submit for Cert, ...) Does this help your
> SqueakSSL stuff? Thoughts on all I have written?

I don't know. SqueakSSL uses the platform stores, specifically to
integrate with already installed certificates. I have never used the
Cryptography SSL package myself, only the cryptographic algorithms from it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas