[squeak-dev] [ANN] FunSqueakCog-10423-alpha ready for improve with a little help of friends and complain by foes

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 12:11:05 UTC 2010

On 8/31/10 8:39 AM, "Hannes Hirzel" <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fine. I'll be happy to read the documentation.
>
> I have a suggestion. Maybe you put images of the steps between as well
> in the 'experimental' folder, e.g. you load muO (musical Objects) into
> the latest Squeak 4.1 trunk image, publish it, then you add another
> project, publish it and so on.
> This will allow us to more easily find out where the trouble are.
>
> Sources of problems may be
> 1) The application/project has not been fully ported to the latest
> Squeak 4.1 trunk
> 2) The Squeak 4.1 trunk does not support a feature properly anymore
> which was there in an earlier version.
> 3) Problems induces by the Cog VM.
>
> In any case these tests will reveal a lot.
>
> Thank you for your work of your group, Edgar.

Ok.
I just working on it before my student come in a hour

Take this as informal report

Building FunSqueak with Cog Squeak 5.8b4 John VM from fresh
Squeak4.2-10423-alpha

First, you need do SMSqueakMap bootStrap if like to download any of SM
This steps works, I got some from Goran in the process.
Trying to load the last Games for trunk I made some time ago shows:

You need
ComponentLikeModel.st

This was ripped by Andreas for good , but still most older needs it until we
refactor projects/class who refers to it.

Project loads ans shows, but screen freezes.

Starting again and trying drag and drop from Squeaklets and .pr just created
shows a known old bug with Mac, drag and drop of .pr just do not work.

Another issue is I locate VM on Elliot place but no luck to have working on
Windows 7 or Ubuntu.

I see was packed inside part of Mac VM like All in One , this technique
start on Sophie IMHO, so for other OS you need navigate and locate the
apropiate .exe or .app , etc.

I know all this but still can't have Cog in Windows or Ubuntu.
I read you have success so sure I miss some...

Edgar