[squeak-dev] Re: About unloading of packages in the most recent Squeak 4.1 trunk

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 12:19:48 UTC 2010

Hello

I did a retest with the most recent trunk image

The image
Squeak 4.2alpha #10437  - 17.5MB

SmalltalkImage current unloadAllKnownPackages

The image got down to 10.3MB

Further up in this thread Levente writes:
     Hm, I think Casey forgot to do [Smalltalk cleanUp: false] before
saving the image. Doing that saves 2.8MB.

I did
   Smalltalk cleanUp: false
but I only got 10.1MB

Smalltalk cleanUp: true
brought it down to 10.0MB

It opens fine with a Windows Cog VM from
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/
(I have not done any further testing yet).

As a whole I am pleased with the result.

So to summarize - a reduced image like the one I got with this process
should take trunk updates properly in most cases?

-- Hannes