AW: Re: [squeak-dev] 4.2 code freeze

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Sun Dec 5 21:47:24 UTC 2010

On 2010/12/05 21:38, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Tim Felgentreff wrote:
>>
>> Since Squeak presents itself to the newcomer as an integrated development
>> environment, it should act that way, too, imho. Having a good one-click,
>> out-of-the-box experience is crucial if we want new people to come and
>> stick to Squeak
>>

> +1.  For attracting new Squeakers, I agree that it's crucial to have all the
> dev tools expected by the market.  Leave the tweaking to the experts e.g.
> "Bare-bones the system" instead of "extend the system" for bread and butter
> IDE features.
>

> Tim Felgentreff wrote:
>>
>> otherwise they'll simply go on and use Pharo.
>>
> Or drop Smalltalk altogether!  Until a year ago, I thought Smalltalk was a
> strange dead language.  Lacking features that are basic in other
> environments will not combat this impression.

Yes, but that's a distribution problem. Have a one-click with all the
vital bells and whistles, great. That's not trunk though.

So OCompletion should stay out of trunk _because_ it's nicely packaged,
and when we say "OK kids, Squeak 4.2's here" we also say "...and here's
the one-click with some nice extra add-ons you can't do without"

frank