[squeak-dev] [ANN] Connectors for Squeak 4.2

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 17:19:24 UTC 2010

I am pleased to announce that Ned Konz's original Connectors has been
updated for Squeak 4.2, is now available on SqueakSource under the
"Connectors" project.

I went through every method override from the Connectors 3.8 version and either:

  - gave it back to Morphic or EToys packages, because it was
identical to the current 4.2 method
  - updated or integrated the 4.2 method, because the Connectors
version was improved

After doing this we are down to just 3 methods in Morphic that are
overridden after loading Connectors and 2 in EToys.  Of course it
would be nice if someone can figure a way to unify these last 5 but
even so, it is much better than dozens of method changes.

Connectors was originally deployed as a SAR file, and imported several
bitmap images into the Image Imports of Squeak.  However, I do not
believe these were used or, if they are, can be loaded separately.
Connectors provides very useful functionality without those bitmaps,
so we should be able to employ Monticello as Connectors SCM tool going
forward.

I have given the SqueakSource project world read and update, but
reserved admin rights to myself, Bert, and anyone else who requests
it.  I believe this is a good approach for our small community by
balancing easy contribution with control.

 - Chris