[squeak-dev] Cog+NativeBoost @ Mac OS

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 18:31:58 UTC 2010

On 9 December 2010 17:04, Michael Haupt <mhaupt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>
> here are some details.
>
> On 9 December 2010 16:29, Michael Haupt <mhaupt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I installed the examples (which appear to be working) and tests as
>> well, but the tests crash the VM. I have not yet tried to nail the
>> problem down; is this expected behaviour on the Mac?
>
> most tests are green, but there are some issues:
>
> 1. NBUnixHeapManagerTests - 2 errors ("unable to map to virtual memory")

yeah, because it is for unix, not mac, but test not aware of it :)
Mac memory manager (NBMacExternalHeapManager) works ok, because it is
involved in a bootstrapping,
and you won't be able to run almost anything without successful bootstrap.
I have to disable this test , or better use an appropriate heap
manager for testing depending on platform.

> 2. NBCallbackTests - assertion failure in NBInterpreterProxy >> #callInterpreter

Yeah, callbacks not ready for Cog. I implemented necessary stuff, but
haven't time
to test it. So, don't use callbacks.
Also, Eliot made something cool with FFI , we yet have to see it, and
basicly i think
i will wait till release of it, so i can play more nicely with it than now.

Also, i haven't time to check all image-side code for compatibility with Mac.
I even didn't tried to do any external library call, i just tested
that assembler + interpreterProxy calls working ok.

Currently the Mac NB code using mostly the linux code, and sure thing
it could be different in some places specific to mac.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.