[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Morphic-laza.489.mcz

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Fri Dec 10 08:44:55 UTC 2010

Hi Alexander

Am 2010-12-10 um 08:51 schrieb Alexander Lazarević:

> Hi Tobias!
>
>> 2010/12/9 Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de>
>>  FWIW, The Metacello Config is meant to be Installable
>> at any future point in time, your installer Doit + the
>> two other doits may change. For example, if the developers
>> of OCompletion just put another _non-working_ version
>> into their repo, your doit will miraculously result in
>> a non-working OCompletion, while a Metacello-installation
>> would still work. Or consider a rename of the packages
>> from Ocompletion to OCompletion.
>>
> In general you may be right, that installing software via Metacello is more robust, but in the current situation (Metacello not being an integral part of Squeak) I just feel it is overkill for installing just one package. And after all: I see everything in the "Extending the system" workspace just as a suggestion on how to (quickly) get additional software into the image. You are always free to chose another way like using Metacello configs.

Right. Personally, I'd like to see Metacello integrated into Squeak;
if not in a minimal image then in the ‘next bigger iteration’.

>> The metacello-config
>> can immediately be updated, while the 'Extending the System'-
>> Workspace cannot as fast be updated.
>>
> I guess that depends on the point of view. Every trunk developer can immediately change and update the workspace if there is a problem. The Metacello config can only be changed by the owners or developers of that repo.

No, Anybody can update the Metacello-Configuration.
The Metacello-Repository has a 'all read-and-write'-policy.

>> My rationale: Why shouldn't we use Metacello Configs if
>> they are there and doing what we want: Installing the
>> software.
>>
> So why not use jumbo jets to visit your neighbors if they are there and doing what you want: Doing transportation ;)

Point taken.
Probably I said that because I think Installer should cease to be used.

So Long,
	-Tobias