[squeak-dev] "welcome" projects for 4.2

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Mon Dec 13 17:16:30 UTC 2010

I too always liked seeing the interesting projects demoing Squeak's capabilities. I'm thinking that everything would not need to be preloaded except for a short abstract of what each project is all about along with load and unload scripts.

In the latest trunk, I'm liking the 'Extending the System' Workspace with the various scripts for loading additional capabilities.

I would like to see an easy way of unloading the stuff I have temporarily loaded to take a look at. I would NOT like to have loaded a project, then deleted it only to find out that all the code that was necessary for the project, was still hanging around. I do not like having to rely on closing the image without saving to revert back to the previous state. I often find I do some messing around in a Workspace that I probably want to keep, but that gets blown away too when quitting without saving the image.

eg. if I load Seaside and Pier and play around with them for a few days in my image, saving at various points so I don't chance to lose my work, then decide I have no more use for them, I would like to do an unload/uninstall similarly to how I loaded them from the 'Extending the System' Workspace, and be assured that the image is back to the state I had before I loaded them in the first place except for what I've done outside of that which I want to keep.

And yes, Edgar's work to keep the old interesting and fun stuff alive is really appreciated. Thx!

Ken G. Brown