[squeak-dev] Unreferenced instance variables

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Mon Dec 13 21:21:01 UTC 2010

Dear Squeakers,

I just found out that we have quite a few unreferenced instance variables. I found 139 classes in a current trunk image. I used the following script:

| unreferencedInstVars |
unreferencedInstVars := Dictionary new.
SystemNavigation default allBehaviorsDo: [:each |
	| instVars |
	(instVars := each unreferencedInstanceVariables) notEmpty
		ifTrue: [unreferencedInstVars at: each put: instVars]].
unreferencedInstVars

Could all of these be removed? Or are there reasons why some of those inst vars must not be deleted?

Curiously,
Bernhard