[squeak-dev] Re: FloatMathPlugin in Squeak for Croquet compatability?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Dec 14 01:50:31 UTC 2010

On 12/13/2010 5:35 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> There were plans about using the primitives during the developement of
> Squeak 4.1. They also give a nice speed up if you're using SqueakVM, but
> some of them (#sin, #cos, etc.) are slower with CogVM.
> In Kernel-mtf.527 the behavior of the methods is different if the
> receiver is NaN.

Yes. NaNs are -as the name says- not numbers and these operations are
defined for numbers only, so all the float math plugin primitives fail
for NaN. If you want to introduce NaNs silently you could do that in the
primitive fallback code, but from my point of view, I found that raising
an exception causes potential problems to show at a much earlier stage
and not when you're trying to do an operation like truncate, round or
whatnot (which sooner or later you will do).

Cheers,
   - Andreas