[squeak-dev] Gofer versus Installer was: The Trunk: Morphic-laza.489.mcz

Miguel Cobá miguel.coba at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 21:06:28 UTC 2010

El mar, 14-12-2010 a las 15:43 -0500, Chris Cunnington escribió:
> "Lets accept it. For good or bad, monticello packages are the way to
> go,
>
> and gofer desing is around this observation."
>
> Your position is too extreme. I argued against SqueakMap about as hard
> as anybody can six, seven months ago.
> I got serious push back. Gofer is great and there are lots of reasons
> to use it. But I don't see any reason to
> break things, or decide for people who want to do things in an older
> mode.

Why extreme? Gofer made a decision to focus on Monticello because that
is the current de facto format widely in use. I didn't say, kill
SqueakMap or kill universes, I only said that almost nobody uses because
great majority uses squeaksource and monticello to publish new packages
and releases. Even if 10 or 50 people can raise the hand and say that
they use changesets or publish in squeakmap, that, based on observations
on the the squeak trunk, the squeaksouce.com latest activity landing
page and the mailing lists from pharo and squeak, this is a hard fact.
This is akin to the whole blue, yellow, other color click. The fact that
someday the way to use Squeak and smalltalk was with a 3-colors mouse
that doesn't validate the 2010 persistence of those terms to instruct
users to do something. This is plain blindness to the fact that today,
the mice sold and used in windows and linux have only 2 and with luck, 3
button, that in laptops is hard to do a 'middle-click' and the most
evident one that macs have only one button.
Legacy (code|platforms|customs) must be left behind and sometimes even
killed for our own good. :)  (that is indeed extreme, but I believe
it ;)

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz